On the Radar: Kehlani - CLOUD 19


A little late on her project but mark my words when I say don't sleep on this 19-year old Oakland, CA singer/songwriter who goes by the Hawaiian name Kehlani (meaning: of the heavens or calm of the skies).

First taking notice of her when I came across her catchy collaboration with KYLE and another collaboration with G-Eazy, I took the time to give her latest mixtape titled "Cloud 9" a listen. Released at the end of last summer, I was quickly blown away by how well her 8-tracks were put together.

Using her name as a metaphor to reaching to the sky, she draws many of these metaphors and comparisons throughout the album (hence, the title of the mixtape). With distinct light playful instrumentals paired with her heavily groovy voice, I was drawn to a nice compilation of old school R&B love songs with a breath of fresh hip hop flair. Initially feeling some Jhene Aiko vibes, she quickly transitioned over to a little bit of a Tinahse flow, but more importantly as a new artist, distinctly, put something out there of her own as well. I am proud to say she definitely holds her own with her fellow R&B/Hip-Hop sistas.

Favorite tracks on the mixtape:
- FWU
- As I Am
- Get Away
- How We Do Us
- Tell Your Mama

She's about to turn some heads in the music game. You heard it here first. I expect to see her blow-up with a couple future collaborations with more well-known hip-hop artists... (ahem hopefully a Drake collab is in the works) 



Can't get enough of her voice? Click here to check out her latest track titled "How That Taste" - a rumored first single off her coming Spring mixtape, "You Should Be Here."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Popular Posts

INSTAGRAM